HomeOur ClassroomStudentsParentsTeachersSchool Info.AwardsEmail

A Day in the life of a Hopi Man, Woman, Girl, or Boy
A Day In The Life Of a Hopi Boy
By Allison

            Hi my name is Racing Horse but for short they call me horse.  My fatherís name is Yuka.  My motherís name is Caring Cerige.  Also my 5-year-old brotherís name is Sneaking Spy.  One day my father said, ďHorse, you are now 16 and I would like you to go hunting with meĒ. ďSureĒ Said, Horse.  So they went.  They caught 16 rabbits, 7 deer, 2 baggers, 17 birds, and 3 snakes.  Then they came home.  Ma was happy that they hunted so much.  Ma started to cook dinner.  We had a stew called yuka which is squash, yuka plant, deer, snake, and eagle head.  Also corn bread and piki bread.  It was yummy!  Then Pa and I went to the kiva and saw them perform the rain dance, the Sun of all gods, katchina doll dance, and the story of all gods.  After we came up to the kitchen and me and my brother Sniking Spie went out to play for 50 minutes.  It started to get late so we came in and played a game of find the stone, and I won.  It was 9:15 and it was late.  Me and my family went to bed.  The End.  

By Mark 

            Good morning!  I am named Humming Stone.  I like to hum and my people say my head is as hard as a stone.  The sun has barely rise.  My people like to call me Hummer, either they think its shorter or they like it.  Right now, I am hunting with my father, Hunting Ax.  My father loves to hunt.  This morning weíre hunting for rabbit.  The desert looked deserted except for cactuses and rocks.  Finally, we found our luck and caught a rabbit.  When we got home, my people were building another Pueblo house.  They were made out of clay, mixed with sand and water.  Inside, my sister, Singing Tiger was grinding corn.  I went up to the roof to our eagle.  I fed her a lizard and 2 mice.  Then, I went to chase the crows out the garden.  Then, I went to change into another shirt.  I found a cotton shirt with every fancy stitches and put it on.  Then, I went to play with my friends.  First, we played ďThrow the pebbles.Ē You have to find rocks or stones and throw the stone or rock into a bucket.  We were about to play our second game when my mother called for dinner.  Tonight, we had rabbit meat with corn.  Then, it was getting dark.  I yawned.  My mom says to go to bed.  Ahh.  It feels great to be in bed.  Good-night!   

Humming Stone. 

A Day in the Life of a Hopi Child
By Nayomi 

            Hello! My name is Jessica and I am a Hopi girl.  I put on my moccasins, a cotton dress.  Then I put on a blanket that shows that I am not married.  Then I put a blanket over my shoulders. 

I help my mother with jobs around the house.  I care for my baby sister.  Weave simple baskets.  Help collect clay to make simple pots.  I also learned how to grind corn and make piki bread.

I like to play with dolls made out of household materials like cornhusks and small household utensils.  My environment is flat.  They have a lot of mesas.  They have cliffs, canyons and the Grand Canyon.  Good night. I am going to sleep now.

Life For a Hopi Girl
By Catherine 

            Itís morning.  I wake up and put on my moccasins shoes.  I went downstairs and helped my mother take care of Talking Tiger, my little sister.  She was playing with a doll that was made of cornhusks.  I asked my mother ď Are you going to teach me how to make piki bread motherĒ? ďOf courseĒ my mother said, ď Today we are also going to make simple potsĒ.  It was early morning.  My mother was giving birth to a new baby soon.  My mother has told me that that baby would first be seen by my mother, fatherís mother, motherís mother.  But the father only saw the baby after the baby was twenty years old.  ďWhereís fatherĒ?  I ask my mother while I was playing a game with Talking Tiger.  My mother answered ď Your fathers hunting for foodď.  One time I was bad for a little bit but I didnít get hit by a stick.  My mother just explained how I was bad and I never was bad like that ever again.  It was mid-afternoon before I finished making my piki bread and my little pot.  I admired it and my mother said, ď You are not lazy, did you knowĒ?  I did not answer but my mother knew I was not lazy.  It is a disgrace to be lazy.  For our meal today we had squash, beans, piki bread.  At that time my father came home.  He brought home some dead rabbits and deer to eat.  It was delicious.  After my meal, I went to bed.  Good night!

The Day in a Life of a Hopi Girl
By Lexus 

            It is morning.  I wake up in the early sun its so bright.  I am Rising Sun.  My family and me are getting ready to start work.  My job is to weave baskets, grind corn and how to make piki bread.  I play with my doll.  Her name is Dolly.  She is my favorite toy I have.  She is soft, cuddly, and friendly to me.            

Some food I like to eat is corn bread, piki bread corn, and deer, rabbit, and lots of meat.  My favorite food is the meat and crops that dad brings back from his beautiful farm for me, like, beans, corns, squash, and rabbit. 

            My job is to weave baskets, grind corn, make piki bread, and help with infants.  I have to watch my 2 little sisters and 1 brother for my mom while she does house chores.  I am supposed to show my sisters how to make Katchina dolls and help my brother and show him how to peal and scrape off the bad stuff off the crops.  I also have to try to collect clay and use my finger tips to press clay into a circular shaped pot to make bowls, pots, cups and make different pottery stuff too. 

            My house has lots of floors the three bottom floors are 2 cleaning rooms and 1 kitchen.  The 2 rooms on top of it are more cleaning rooms, and on the very top is a fire place room with a chimney to climb out of.  

            Now it is evening and time for me to go to bed.  I had a great day with you and telling you about myself.  See you soon.

A Day in the Life of a Hopi Girl
By Emily M.

            Itís early morning.  The sun isnít even up yet.  But I still need to go work.  I donít want to but I have too.  I get out of bed and get dressed.  Then, I meet mom, and my older sister downstairs.  When mom is filling in the chinks in the wall with mud, my older sister takes care of me.  When mom comes back, we start to grind corn.  Next, we would make piki bread.  I donít know how to make piki bread that well, so my sister helps me.  After we make piki bread, we go out and play for a while.  Then, I come back.  Next, I start to make simple pots with mom but first we collected clay.  Then, we weave baskets.  Itís hard work.  Then, after a hard day of work, itís dinner.  We get served with stew.  In the stew is, squash, beans, wild sage bush, milk weed, watercress, dandelions, and if weíre lucky, there might be some rabbit or deer meat in it.  Then, after dinner, we may play some more.  I would start to work on my doll.  Itís made out of cornhusks, soft wood, and small household utensils.  After I am done, I play with some of the neighbors.  They are playing with their dolls.  So I join them.  Then, mom says itís getting late.  So I say good-bye, and come home.  Itís dawn and I Ďm getting tired so I am going to go to sleep.  Good night!

A Day in the life of a Hopi Man
By Jason

Dear Diary,

            Hello! My name is Hunting Tiger and I Ďm a Hopi Man.  Itís morning.  When I get dressed I always braid my hair and put a folded headband around my forehead.  Next I would plant corn, squash, beans, cotton, sunflowers, tobacco, and more.  I weave in the winter only.  So Iím excited that weaving starts in 2 weeks.  Also I collected cotton to make my familyís clothing.  Then me and my friend Screaming Monkey went eaglet hunting.  We ended up catching 4 eaglets at the end.

            Finally it was noon.  So I started heading to my kiva (Key-Va).  By the way a kiva is a place for religion, for men only, and where we carve katchina dolls.  For the kids to learn our religion.  Next I have built a new pueblo with Screaming Monkey and Searching Jaguar.  First we made adobe.  Second we made the kiva.  Third we made the pueblo with the adobe.  Last we put up the beams.

            Finally it was evening.  When I got back home for dinner the corn was ready and everything. So I had a delicious dinner.  After dinner we had a really fun game that we played almost every night.

            At last it is nighttime.  So I go to bed after a long day of work.  Now itís morning again and I shall do everything all over. 


Hunting Tiger

The Day in the Life of Hopi Man
By Zach 

            Hello my name is Dan and I am a Hopi man.  I will show you the life of me and my family do everyday.  First we will talk about what I do.  I wake up at 4:00 so I can start my day early and I get out of bed and get my clothing.  My clothing is moccasins, a cotton shirt, cotton pants, and jewelry.  Then we go hunting for rabbit, deer, and a lot of other animals that we can eat and that also have meat.  Then if we did not catch anything for dinner, we have corn and corn bread and if we did catch something or something we eat the food we all caught and eat the food, the food that the Hopi woman made and the Hopi children made together.  We eat the food out of the pottery that the children and woman made.

A Day in the Life of a Hopi Girl

Itís morning. I wake up and get dressed in my dress and put on my blue blanket. I climb down the ladder and watch my mom work. When I grow older, I will have to learn how to do work like her. Then, I finish weaving my basket. I went back to watching my mom work, then suddenly, I spill a bowl of corn! My mother told me that I had to be more careful. I said ď okayĒ. Then my mother told me to collect clay. So I went outside and collected clay from the ground. After I collected clay, in inside and my mother told me how to grind corn and make piki bread. Then my mother told me she didnít need any more help so I made a pot that had diamonds, triangles, circles, squares, and lines.  Then my brother ad my dad came back from hunting. They killed some rabbits and deer. Then my brother went to the garden and chased away the crows. Then he went to catch mice and lizards and fed them to the eagles tethered on the rooftop. While he was doing that, I played with my dolls. Finally we had dinner. It was our only meal for the day! It was a fun and exciting day.


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Girl

By Calista


It is early morning. My name is Sheilla and I am a Hopi girl. I wake up and put on my moccasins made of deer skin and my dress made of cotton. Then I climb out a hole in the roof and go down a ladder to get down to the room below me. I climb through another hole and see that my mom is already grinding corn. It is my job to help her. Next, we make piki bread to eat with dinner. After cooking, we go outside to look for clay to make into the pots. Then we bring it back to the pueblos (house). After work, I have some time to play. I have a collection of kachina dolls that are made to look like religious gods. Hours pass, and it is time to eat! At dinner, we eat out side. We eat the piki bread we made earlier, a rabbit that my dad and brother caught and killed for dinner. Tomorrow we will use its fur to weave a blanket. Then we go to sleepí


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Girl

By Emily S. 

Itís morning, Hello! My name is Shinning Spring. I wake up and look out the door. I see my father. He is planting corn, squash, beans, sunflowers, cotton and tobacco, then he tends the fields with my 5 year old brother, Seeking Sun. Father was teaching him how to farm and hunting. Later dad is going to show Seeking Sun how to weave. Then I saw mother cook for dinner. She was cooking a stew of squash, beans, wild sagebrush, milk weed, watercress, dandelions, and rabbit or deer meat if it was available. I also saw her making piki bread from corn-based dough spread thin and cooked on a hot stone heated with cotton seed oil and seasoned with pinon sap. Then woman like mother dried corn for storage. They ground it for grain using a mesa and metal. Mother and other woman wove baskets for a variety of uses: containers for corn, trays, platters, hampers to carry corps, babies, and for various ceremonies. They made pottery by digging, soaking and kneading clay soil. Pots and bowls were made by building up long coils on a circular base. Caring for the home was a womanís job. This included finishing the roof with grass, brush, and mud, and filling in the chincks in the walls with mud, and sometimes whitewashing the inside walls. 

I go inside and put on my cotton wool dress and sash with my blue blanket moccasins, deer skin, and my jewelry. Then I get to work. 

I help my mother. I then cared for my baby sister Singing Bird. Then I learned how to grind corn and make piki bread. Then I wave simple baskets. I helped mother collect clay and make simple pots. 

Then I went in our pueblo, and I and my family had dinner in our dry, sunny, and sandy environment. 

My friends came and we played with my dolls made of corn husks, soft wood, and small house hold utensils. 


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Man

By Isiah 

Hello my name is Slithering Snake and I am a Hopi man. When I woke up I got to start hunting for tonightís dinner. I captured a rabbit. Then my son Naruto captured a rabbit. We head for home but we stopped to get squash, beans and the rest of the ingredience for the supper. We got home and it was day break. After supper, we played find the stone. We all wet to the bedroom and slept. Itís daybreak we head out into the blassing sun to get rabbits and adobe for the house. We get back home and we had a big feast. The feast was over and we laugh and we celebrate by playing games and we have a wonderful time. The next day we went out to the field and brought squash, corn and rabbit. After we collected the vegetables. We were chased by three men that had arrows. We hid in a narrow spot and waited for the three men to leave. A few minutes later, we traveled and traveled back to our Hopi village and surely we came back alive. We come back to the Hopi village and eat the rabbit that we captured. We went for a walk around the Hopi village. We go back to our pueblos and go to sleep. The next day, my sister Mya and mother made colorful vases with sand water and mud. We search for rabbits for the family to eat. We return with plenty of rabbits to eat and we all live in peace. Well, thatĎs my life of a Hopi man, The end. 


Slithering Snake


A Day in the Life of a Young Hopi Girl

By Holly 

Hello! My name is Flying Eagle. It is early morning. It has been 20 days since the twins have been born. Today is the naming ceremony. I have been waiting very long for this day. Finally, they name the twins! One is named Pouncing Cyote. The other is Running Cyote. Pouncing Cytoe is always trying to grab the birds just like his brother. I made spears that can not hurt anyone for the twins. I gave two to each twin. My mother, Swimming Fish, asks me and my sister, Flying Butterfly, to help her make piki bread, my favorite food. Flying Butterfly always cooks the piki bread, since sheís older. I always get the corn. On the way to get the corn, I see my father, Hunting Horse, and my older brother, Flying fish. They are hunting. Finally, I reach the corn field. I pick a lot of corn. Suddenly, I see a rabbit. I call Hunting Horse and Flying fish. They catch the rabbit. Yay! More food for us! I run back home and give Swimming fish the corn. It is time for dinner. The stew and piki bread is yummy. It is time for bed. It has been a long day. Good Night!


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Boy

By George 

Hi! My name is Bob the Builder and I am a Hopi child. Today I woke up 3:46 AM. I put on my cloths (moccasins, sash, blanket, head band, etc,) When I went outside, me and my dad started moving out of town. We were going to a trade. My father brought rabbits, some turquoise, and some antlers. I brought along a stone that I found in a creek. It was clear, shinny, and REALLY hard. We were going to meet another tribe at the edge of a mesa. When we got there we traded 16 antlers for I medium sized piece of Topaz. We also trade 3 rabbits for an arrow head made of citrine. We went back to my tribe. It was already afternoon when we got there. My mom and sister were making piki bread. It was almost dinner time. I went farming for the rest of the day. When I came home I had my favorite meal Ė piki bread, deer meat, and squash stew. Mmmmmm,mmmmmmmmmmm! When I finished dinner I went to bed. Good Night!


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Man

By Brodie 

It is morning, I wake up and I started doing all the work I have to do. I start farming. I plant corn, squash, beans, sunflowers, cotton and tobacco, and then I will need to be tending the fields. After that I need to be catching wild deer, antelope, and rabbits. I built the pueblos and Kivas. I used stones for the walls and heavy wooden beams for the roofs. I also had to capture eaglets. They were baby eagles. When I was young I wove in the winter. Now I weave all year long. I have to get cotton to weave. I did a lot of work. I have to carve kachina to wear in ceremonies. I also carved small machine dolls that were given to children to help them learn about their religion. I could not see my baby until my baby was twenty days old. After the long day of doing work. I went through a hole (which was a door) and up a ladder and into the sleeping room. After night was over, I would start the day over again. 


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Child

By Elbert

I just got born today. I donít have a name yet and Iím a Hopi child. I have to wait for twenty days to get a name and meet my dad. All I know are my grandmothers. I wonder what my name is going to be. LaterÖ I met my day and now I am going to get my name today. My dad sprinkled cornmeal, in front of me. It is supposed to set me on the ďroad of lifeĒ. Suddenly, my parents started carrying me to the edge of a high flat land called a mesa! Would they dump me over? Thank goodness! My parents were praying over me and presenting me to the rising sun. Maybe there is a spirit in there. Finally, I got my name: Flying fish. Sounds good? Later, I might even get a third name. 

You know what? I realized that I never ever hot spanked or hit. Neither did my sister. Even if we were bad. We usually got talked to. It only came bad enough to having s privilege taken away for a short time period. I learned that laziness was a disgrace. 

Now I am five years old. Now I start adult work. My day starts by teaching me how to farm and hunt. At home I learn hoe to weave things. Next comes chasing the pesky crows away from my garden. The last thing I have to do is catch some mice and lizards for the eagles on our roofs. 

Thatís a day in the life of a Hopi boy child. 


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Girl

By Blair 

Hello! My name is Sneaking Cat and I am a Hopi girl. I want to tell you about a Hopi kidís life! When Hopi babies are born their fathers could not see the baby for a few days, but when the baby is born the fatherís mother and fatherís motherís mother can come when the baby is first born. Then they name the baby three times which I think is very confusing! Also when ever a Hopi kid does something bad they are never struck, but they are talked, too. And have privileges taken away for a short time. Small girls like me help our mothers around the pueblo. One thing I do around the pueblo is learning how to making piki bread. Piki bread is a flat bread. I am also learning how to weave baskets and how to make dolls that are made out of corn husks, soft wood, and small house hold utensils. I just do it for fun. If you think this stuff is hard you see what the boys do! They have to learn to hunt poor cute animals with arrows and other stuff! I cry when that happens, sometimes I donít eat what they hunted. So father talks to me and asks whatís wrong. Itís always the same answer.

The Life of a Hopi Boy
by Matt

Hello, my name is Silent Sheep and Iím a Hopi boy.  Itís early morning.  I get dressed.  Then I go down stairs and I start weaving a basket.  When Iím done I went to the Kiva.  Then we started a ritual for the Kachina dolls.  All the dads got their Kachina costumes and danced.  Then it was time to hunt.  I got a new bow.  Then we went out.  I saw a deer and hid behind a bush.  Then I shot an arrow.  It hit its target.  Then I hit five rabbits.  Then we headed back to the village.  I have to wait fifteen days until I could see my baby brother.  Let me tell you about my culture.  The Hopi culture is a newborn baby can be seen by his/her Mom and Grandma but canít be seen by the dad or his brother.  Itís the twentieth day now weíre going to the mesa for my brotherís three names.  His first name is Biting Jaguar.  His second name is Snarling Dragon.  His last name is Howling Coyote.  Then we go home.  Then I make a quilt for my baby brother.  Next I help my dad make tools like mallets, spears, bows and arrows.  Thatís the life of a Hopi boy. 

Silent Sheep


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Woman
by Brittany Zhang 

Itís dawn.  I wake up.  My name is Graceful Starlight.  I put on my wool dress, and tie the sash around the waist.  I take my blue blanket, drape it over my left shoulder, and drape the rest over my right.  Then, I tie the blue blanket together in the middle of my chest.  I put on my moccasins, and braid my hair. 

I go outside and bade my family ďGood Morning.Ē  Itís cold outside.  I can hear the coyotes howling.  I take some materials that were Yuka plant and corn husks.  My daughter, Rising Sun, watches me weave baskets out of some corn husks and Yuka  plant.  After a little while, Rising Sun starts weaving her own little basket.  After making several baskets, I start gathering grass, mud, and brush, and filling up holes and cracks of the wall and roof.  Next, I dug up clay, started kneading clay and made some pottery.  It was evening.  I started making dinner.  I took out some dried corn and used a metate and ground up the corn.  Then, I made some stew that had squash, beans, wild sagebrush, milkweed, watercress, dandelions, and rabbit or deer meat if there.  After that, I made some Piki bread.  Rising Sun watched.  I used corn-based dough and heated it on a hot stone heated with cottonseed oil.  After, I seasoned it with Pinon sap.  It was not raining so we ate outside.  Running Cheetah (my son) and Rising Sun said they liked dinner.  That was dinner. 

After dinner, we got ready to sleep.  I helped Rising Sun get into her sleepwear.  She was still too young to do it herself.  Running Tiger was old enough, so he put on his sleepwear himself.  Next, we climbed into bed and fell asleep. 

The End 

A Day in the Life of a Hopi Child
By Justin 

Hi!  My name is Flying Fish and I am a Hopi child.  As soon as Hopi children are born, the mother and grandmothers get to see the child but the father does not until the baby was twenty days old.  The 2oth day is when the naming ceremony begins.  The father would properly sprinkle cornmeal on the Road of Life.  The father/mother would carry the baby to the edge of the mesa and the mother and father would give the baby a name, then a second, and then a ceremonial name.  Pueblo children were never spanked for punishment.  Instead, they were talked to or had a privilege taken away for a short time.  Laziness was considered a disgrace and children would be introduced to adult work at an early age. 

Boys after the age of five learned how to farm and hunt from their father.  At home they were taught how to weave and were responsible for chasing crows away from their gardens, and catching mice and lizards for the eagles. 

Small girls helped their mothers.  They cared for infants and learned how to grind corn, make piki bread, and weave simple baskets, collect clay and make simple pots.  Girls also played with dolls.  Thatís all I have to say. 

Life as a Hopi Boy
By Derek 

Hello, my name is Slashing Serpent.  It is early morning.  I get up, get dressed, and get my bow and arrows.  When I got outside I found my dad, Driving Dragon.  We went hunting.  After a short distance, I saw a rabbit.  When I shoot, I miss, but my dad hits.  I kill 2 rabbits and a deer.  I return to camp and wake my brother up.  I help him get his spears ready.  It is his first time hunting!  When we were hunting he killed a rabbit.  He also shot an antelope in the leg.  I killed it.  I killed another antelope and a deer and he shot a deer in the leg, another rabbit and an antelope.  I killed a rabbit too.  When I got home I got a new bow.  I caught a few lizards and my first eaglets.  It was getting hard to keep track of my brother so we went to the fields.  We scare some crows.  I shot a few of them.  We went hunting again.  I was getting kind of tired of hunting.  It was almost dinner time so we finished killing a family of deer and a few rabbits and an antelope.  Then we went back for dinner.  During dinner we played games.  Then we went to sleep. 

Slashing Serpent


The Life of a Pueblo Woman
by Reba 

Itís morning.  I wake up and put on my moccasins, cotton dress, tied my sash around my waist, and draped a blue blanket over my left shoulder and fastened it in the front.  Now itís time to start the life of a pueblo woman.  First, I take some mud and fill in holes in the wall.  After that I start to weave a basket.  My daughter watches me weave the strands together very carefully.  Afterwards I teach my daughter how to make a pot.  I gave her some coils and showed her how to build the pot up starting from the base.  It is mid-afternoon and I start to make dinner.  I gather some squash, beans, wild sagebrush, milkweed, watercress, dandelions, and some stored deer meat.  When the stew was cooking I made some piki bread by taking corn-based dough spread thin and cooked on a hot stone heated with cottonseed oil and seasoned with pine sap.  Now itís evening.  I go down to Kiva and get ready for the naming ceremony.  We celebrate and then have dinner.  For dinner there is the stew and some piki bread.  After dinner I patch up the roof. Then itís time for bed.  I go to bed and sleep until tomorrow.

The Day in the Life of a Hopi Child
by Selina

Hi!  My name is Smiling Cheetah.  I help my mom with lots of things like weaving baskets, and collecting clay to make pottery.  I know how to make piki bread, since my mom taught me.  I liked helping and caring for my brother when he was young. 

I also have dolls made of corn husks, wood and even household utensils.  I like to play with them a lot, sometimes my brother.  Right now, he has to catch, hunt, and farm for my dad.  There is also an eagle on the rooftop.  My brother catches mice and lizards to feed to it. 

I live in a pueblo, a house made of adobe.  Adobe is made of water, sand, and clay.  My dad built the house.  My family will live in this house until we find a better place to live.  There are storage rooms, sleeping rooms, a fireplace room, and a cooking/sleeping room. 

Let me tell you what my parents did when I was born.  My dadís mom and my momís mom would be shown the new baby as soon as it is born.  Dad canít see the baby yet though until it was 20 days old.  Then, they have a naming ceremony.  At dawn, the dad would sprinkle cornmeal in a path to set the baby on the road of life.  The baby was carried to the edge of the mesa, where the fatherís mother and babyís mother would pray over him, presenting him to the sun and giving him a name.   Then, later, they would give him another name, and then the third, or ceremonial name.  My brotherís name is Leaping Leopard. 

I live in a desert, with lots of canyons, cactus, and wild animals.  It is very sandy here.  There is scarcely any rain.  There are lots of small plants and scorpions, ants, and yucca plants. 

I eat corn, pumpkin, squash, and beans.  We also can make pancakes out of corn.  We hunt and eat deer and rabbits.  We girls also learn how to grind our food. 

They say that all girls and women wear moccasins.  Unmarried women wear white buckskin from their knees to ankles.  My mom wears a blue blanket over her shoulder.  My dad has a head band.  My mom and I usually wear our hair down. 


Smiling Cheetah

A Day in the Life of a Hopi Woman
by Sarah Walter

Hello!  My name is Running Cheetah.  I am a Hopi woman.  I start my day by getting dressed.  First I put on my cotton dress.  Then I put my hair into braids.  After that I put on my sash and my bracelets.  Then I put on my shoes.  Now I am finished with getting dressed.  Now it is time to do my daily work. 

For my work I cook, clean, and make bowls and baskets.  The first thing that I do is cook.  I make a stew to eat at the evening which was made out of squash, beans, wild sagebrush, milkweed, watercress, dandelions, and rabbit or deer meat if there is any.  Then I put this away until the evening.  Next I clean the house if it is dirty or messy.  If there are any holes in the walls I fill them up with grass, brush, and mud.  I also whitewash the walls which is pretty much like painting.  Next, after that is all finished I make baskets and bowls.  I make bowls out of clay and I weave baskets. 

My house is big.  It does not look like your houses.  Our houses are just rooms stacked on each other.  To get to the other rooms we use ladders and holes in the walls.  The rooms we have are storage rooms, cooking rooms, and sleeping rooms. 

My environment is a very sandy and hot place.  There are cactuses, snakes, rabbits, beavers, gophers, and scorpions.  If you came here you might not feel comfortable but we got used to living like this.   

Well thatís all about the Hopi women and what they do. 


Running Cheetah


A Day in the Life of a Hopi Boy
 by Eric

Hello!  My name is Rob and I am a Hopi boy.  I am five years old and today my dad is going to teach me how to hunt and farm but before that I am going to put on my cotton trousers and cotton shirt.  Then Iím going to wrap a blanket around me and put on my black moccasins.  Now Iím all dressed and Iím going to start my hunt.  Weíve already hunted 1 deer which my dad hit and 5 rabbits, 3 of which I hit.  After we finished hunting I returned to my pueblos on the cliff, and gave it to my mother to cook.  Before she started cooking she taught me how to weave.  ďYou go over and under and over and so on so on,Ē she told me.  I have already woven one basket.  Now my mom starts to cook the deer and rabbits we killed and my dad tells me my farming lesson is going to begin.  We walk to the field and my dad gave me a few seeds and I started planting corn while my dad tended some beans he planted earlier.  Then when I ran out of seeds dad told me it was time to go.  Then we went back to the house and my mom told us the good news.  She was going to have a baby.  Then I told both of my grandmothers that I was going to get a baby sister.   Then they told me dad could not see her for 20 days when the naming ceremony began.  It goes like this, dad will sprinkle corn meal in a path then they will hold her up to the sun and say her name, then she would get a second name later which I do not even have yet.  Then she will get a third name which they will use at ceremonies.  Then my dad tells me we should go get the food and cook it for our meal.  Once that is done we have a great dinner of deer meat, corn, and beans.  After dinner we play a game and soon went to bed.  Good night!


Graphics by Samsilverhawk