128 new ideas for
those of you
who love extra
learning and showing
your creative side!
- GAME - Create a game on a topic with
instructions, game pieces and board. Test it on
- STRUCTURE - Make a 5 foot tall structure using 7
or more materials.
Take a picture and bring it to school. $15
- SCHOOL or TOWN VIDEO PROJECT - make a video on
your school or town's history or present.
- HOW-TO VIDEO PROJECT - create a how-to video to
teach how to do something you know how to do well
- ANIMAL PROJECT - Write a 5 page report on an
animal, a model and a poster
- INVENTION - Make and build an invention that
improves something. Bring it to school and present
it to the class. $30
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENT - Create a new musical
instrument and make up a song using it.
- ROBOT - Build a robot that helps around the
house. Bring it to school and present it to the
- BLUE PRINTS - Design blue prints and build a
model for a future house or other building.
- PUPPETS - Make puppets and do a show for the
class with them.
- TOY - Design a new toy. Test it and write up the
results. Share it with the class.
- SPORT - Design a new sport. Test it, write up
the results. $20
- COOKING - Make a new food recipe. Taste test it
with a group of people. Write up results in a graph.
- MAP - Draw a map of what you think the US will
look like in 2250. Draw a large scale map of the US
in present and also present and future maps of your
- PLANET - Pretend you discovered a new planet and
its inhabitants. Do a one page news report about it,
a model of the planet, model of the aliens, and/or
schematics of the planet in space and topographical
map of the planet.
- ORIGAMI - Make 20 very well done different
origami figures and make a directions poster for one
of the more complex ones using photos or real life
models for each step.
- COMPUTER - Create a computer game or program
with directions and a picture (It doesn't really
have to work, this is just a model).
- TV SHOW - Make your own TV show or short film. $50
- PET TRAINING - Train a pet to do a new,
interesting trick or set of tricks. Show a before,
during, and after video of the training process.
- MUSIC VIDEO - Create a music video using another
musician's music or your own.
- ORIGINAL SONGS - Write and record at least two
of your own original songs (each song has to be 2
minutes long) $45
- MUSICAL PARODIES - Write new lyrics to 3 well-known songs. $30
- PLAY - Write a live play/skit and invite other
students to perform in it. You direct it and present
- DRINK INVENTOR - Make up 8 or more of your own
drink creations. Present the recipes in book form
along with samples and a
create a graph of taste test results done with at
least 20 people. $50
- CHAPTER BOOK - Write a chapter book of 10 or
- MAGIC SHOW - Do a magic show using at least 5
tricks. (Costume required.) Present to the class.
- D.A.R.E. - Make your own DARE (Drug Abuse
Resistance Education) program and videotape it.
- POETRY - Write a book of 20+ poems you have
written with pictures to go with each.
- AUTOBIOGRAPHY - Write an autobiography and
include pictures. This must have at least 10 major
- BIOGRAPHY - Interview someone living and with
their cooperation create a biography of them with
- TEACHER BIOGRAPHY BOOK - Do a mini biography
book of 15 teachers at your school and type it
up. Get every teacher's permission to use anything
they tell you. Put together a copy of the book for
each teacher in it. $100
- VIDEO COMMERCIAL - Make 3 different videotaped
commercials for something you design or think up.
- ENDANGERED SPECIES MOVIE - Make a movie about
endangered species in general or one type of
endangered or extinct animal.
- TRANSPORTATION - Design a new form of
transportation and build a model of it.
- SCHOOL IMPROVEMENTS - Do something specific to
improve the school. First get permission from the
principal or teacher if necessary. Examples: Plant a
flower garden, organize a group of students to do
regular weekly trash pick up from the grounds
- FIRE PROTECTION - Design 3 new types of fire
protection - including better fire resistant
clothing, a new fire alarm, etc.
- IMAGINARY ANIMAL REPORT
- Create an imaginary
animal and write a 5 page report about it as if it
was real. Make a model and poster of it. Do a
classification chart of it and a food chain chart of
where it fits. $60
- VEHICLE - Create a new vehicle or device to help
Write a one page report on what it is. $25
- COMICS - Write a 10 page comic book or series of
10 or more cartoons from scratch.
- COMIC REWRITE - Draw or design a comic book to
retell a novel or famous short story.
- COMMUNICATION - Make a new kind of or method of
communication (e.g., telephone, sign language)
and write a short report on it.
- LANGUAGE - Create a new language and teach it to
the class. If it is just a written language, write a
mini translation dictionary for it. If only oral,
teach at least 30 words and the alphabet. Or do some
combination of both. $50
- VACATION SPOT
- Design a new vacation spot -
include a brochure, map, and picture.
- POETRY MUSIC - Write a poem and put it to music.
- PEN PALS - Get a pen pal from a different
country and exchange 5 letters with them or get 5
pen pals from different states or countries and
exchange 1 letter with each of them.
- COOKBOOK - Write a cookbook including at least
10 recipes or more. Demonstrate 5 or
more of the recipes. $60
- SPACE TRAVEL - Design 5 ways to make space travel
more safe and more fun. Draw pictures and write
explanations for each one.
- FUN BOOK - Make a 30-50 page fun book with word
searches, scramble puzzles and crosswords.
- SIGN LANGUAGE
- Learn 50 or more signs and teach
to a class or to several friends.
- SURVEYS - Survey your classmates (during free
time) on 5 different topics of your choice and
graph of all the results.
- DANCE SHOW - Make up some (at least 3) dances and perform to
the class. $30
- NEW SONG - Learn to play a new song on an
Perform for the class. $20
- KANJI - Learn to do Chinese or Japanese writing
(if you don't already know it)
- make a collection of 10 samples.
- CHILDREN'S MAGAZINE - Make a children's magazine
and have a class read it and evaluate it.
- INVENT A COUNTRY - Invent a a new country. Make
it's flag and write a five page report. Show where
it fits on the globe. $100
- MODEL FLAGS - Make cloth models of the flags of
10 or more countries. Create a flag to represent you
or your family.
- PERSUASION - Write 10 letters to companies that
do something you find very upsetting such as animal
testing to persuade them to stop doing this thing.
(You can write the same letter and send it to 10
different companies.) $75
- BABYSITTING - Write a 10+ page babysitting
manual. Take photos of you and your babysitter
to include in it. $100
- KNITTING - Knit something like a blanket or
child's sweater or doll clothing. Demonstrate how to
knit to the rest of the class.
- PIANO - Write some piano music and perform it
for a group.
- PIE MAKING - Learn to make the perfect pie
crust. Make a new kind of pie and bring it to class
with the recipe.
- CIRCUIT MODELS - Make a model of each type of
circuit (series and parallel) using batteries and min light bulbs. Write a
report describing each one.
- CRAYONS - Invent a new crayon color and contact
several (at least 5) companies to ask them to make it.
Bring in copies of the letter that you sent these
companies as proof of your project.
- READING GOAL - Set a high reading goal and keep
a record of how much you read. Reach the goal and
then do a poster summary report of each of your 5
favorite books or 5 book reviews (good or bad) of
those read during the goal.
- OCEAN STUDY - Learn about the ocean. Make an
ocean food chain poster, a 1 page report, and a model of your favorite ocean
- MARITIME ZOO - Pretend you can create a zoo of
all different ocean animals and decide which ones
you would like in it. Include at least 20 with
several that hardly anyone knows about. $50
- WEB SITE - Make your own website about anything
you like. Include several pictures. Include
something uplifting and a part that teaches
- VOLLEYBALL NET - Make a volleyball net out of 6
pack rings from soda.
Take a picture and bring it to class. $45
- HOUSE MODEL - Design a futuristic house and make
a 3D model of it. $50
- TRASH STRUCTURE
- Design a 3-5 foot tall
structure made from trash or other discarded
materials. It should hold together. Paint it. Write
a 1 page story about the character.
- ENGINE - Make an engine that runs.
- EDUCATIONAL BOOK - Write an educational book
that is more than 10 pages and has fun activities to
teach about a topic you enjoy. (e.g., some fact
pages and some games - crosswords, etc. all about
the same topic.) $100
- HOT AIR BALLOONS - Make 5-8 mini hot air
balloons and a directions poster on how to make
them. Write a fact sheet about real hot air
balloons. Try to come up with more than one way to
make mini models of them. $80
- SIGN LANGUAGE STORY - Learn to read a children's
book in sign language and present it to the class.
Have an interpreter read as you sign.
- SIGN LANGUAGE SONG - Learn to sign a song and
teach it to a group or teach to a group of friends
to present to the class. Have an interpreter read as
you sign. $75
- ROBOT - Make a robot that does something such as
a motion sensor, a timekeeper or a typer robot. $100
- KEYBOARD DESIGN - Make 3 different patterns of
how to design a new keyboard that would be easier to
learn to type with.
- ELECTRICITY - Make an electric project,
something that requires electricity and has a
circuit that when complete does something
- GAME SHOW - Make a game show - try it with
the class. $50
You can get $10 bonus bucks for making the game show
questions about what we're learning in school!
- STORY WRITING - Write a 5 page TYPED (12 font) creative
story and share it with the class.
- TRIVIA - Create a trivia game with a set of at
least 50 cards and answers.
- TOY - Invent a new toy. Draw up an advertising
slogan and poster and live commercial that explains
it. Present it.
- NEWSPAPER - Make a newspaper about our school
and run at least 5 issues.
- FUTURE SCHOOL MODEL - Make a 3D model of a school
of the future. Explain how it is different from
today's schools. Do an oral report and written
- FAMOUS BUILDING MODEL - Make a 3D model of any
famous building - e.g., Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower
of Pisa, World Trade Center, White House)
- PHOTO EXPOSE'
- Make a collection of photos all
about one topic and a summary about what you
- TRAVELOGUE (REAL)
- Make a journal of a trip you
went on. Tell what you did each day. Make sure you
have a visual picture/postcard/newspaper to
accompany every day and especially every event.
Write a recommendation of the
neatest thing you did on vacation.
- TRAVELOGUE (FANTASY)
- Same as above, but with a
trip you would LIKE To Take to a real or imaginary
place. You may find magazine pictures for your
visuals or draw them.
- MERRY-GO-ROUND - Make a carousel model that
works. To be more interesting, use different types
of animals than horses.
- WATER WHEEL - Make a mini working water wheel.
- SCIENCE - Find a really interesting science
experiment. Practice it at home. Bring in materials
and demonstrate to your class.
Discuss with your teacher ahead of time and IF
possible bring enough materials so the whole class
can do the experiment. Direct or assist the whole
class lesson. $60
- COLLECTION DATABASE
- Get a collection or bring
in one you already have of something like rocks or
stamps, etc. You must have at least 30 items in your
collection. Write a report or give a clear oral
report using samples from it as examples, then make
a computer database (list) of every item in the
collection and a short description of each.
- WOODWORK - Build something out of wood. Explain
how it is made.
- WOODEN TOY - Make a wooden toy with a working
- DINOSAURS - Choose a type of dinosaur and create
model of its bones and another of the body. Write a
1 page report on it. Do a food chain poster using other
- CERAMICS - Make 3 or more fired clay or ceramic
- SPARKLE JARS
- Make a sparkle jar (the kind
where you shake them and it looks like snow) and a
1 page story to go with it.
- TERRARIUM - Make a terrarium with live plants
and fake animals.
- CANDLES - Make candles (wax, beeswax, oil, sand,
ice) and teach how to make them. $50
- FLOWER PRESSING
- Do at least 5 different flower
pressings and make pictures from them.
- QUILT - Make a quilt. You can get friends to
make patches and then put it together. Be able to
teach how to make a quilt.
- WRITING UTENSIL - Make up a new type of writing
utensil. It has to work.
- SOAP SCULPTURES - Make 5 or more soap
sculptures. Take pictures of them. Write a story about these characters
you've made. $50
- SOURCES OF LIGHT
- Invent a new light source. It
has to work. $20
- PET FUN BOX - Make a fun box for a pet like a
guinea pig. Write a 1 page report about your pet and
it's fun box. $50
- MARIONETTE - Make a marionette (stick) puppet
and do a puppet show with it.
- SHADOW PUPPET SHOW - Create a shadow box and
several shadow puppets and a little show to go along
with it. Present to a class.
- WEAVING - Make a small weaving loom and weave a
scarf or picture on it. $50
- PHOTO STORY - Take pictures to create a story.
Write the story using the pictures.
- DRESS UP BIOGRAPHY - Study someone famous or
historical. Write a short biography of them. Dress
up as this character and tell his/her story as if
you were them. Share with the class. $75
- STRING ART - Make a string art picture from a
kit and then another from your own design. Be able
to show us how you make string art.
- SLIDE SHOW - Take slide pictures, write
commentary and do a slide show about
conserving/saving the Earth. (This could be done
with digital pictures presented on a website, too.) $100
- CREATE A CONTEST - Create a contest for your
class. Figure out rules, where to
collect entries, who will judge and how, and prizes.
Get permission from your teacher.
- YOUR CHOICE - If none of these appeal to you,
make up your own project idea or combine several
idea and write it up as a proposal to your teacher.
" Ticket value
dependent on project
- STUFFED ANIMAL - Make a stuffed animal.
- DRAWINGS - Do 15 good drawings. Show to the
- SCAVENGER HUNT - Make up a scavenger hunt for
the class to do. $50
- JEWELRY - Make some jewelry like a necklace, a
bracelet and pair of earrings or pin. Wear them to
- HAIR - Make a new hair holder thingie - painted
barrettes or new invention - wear it or get a friend
to wear it. $10
- SHIRT - Paint a shirt artfully and wear it to
school (make sure it's appropriate.) $10
- POSTER - Make a 5 foot tall or long poster/mural
that teaches something
- FRUIT JUICE - Mix up new fruit juice mixes and
taste test them with 10+ people.
Make a graph showing the results.
- WORDS - Invent new meanings for 20 words and
make sentences to go with them for examples.
- PAPER MACHE'
- Make a paper mache' model of
- FLIP BOOK - Make a flip book.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE - Do a chart of foreign
language translations (at least 20).
- PAINTINGS - Do 3 nice paintings. $60
- LIFE COLLAGE
- Make a collage about your life. $50
What? You still want more??
HERE for some